Saturday, June 12, 2010

So Thankful For our local Amish Fruit Market


We are so thankful for our local Amish Fruit Market, especially because of the groundhogs. I shared about my girls planting their first garden a few weeks back. Things are, or should I say, were growing very well. About a week ago I looked out the window and saw a nice row of beans sprouting up. The little leaves were really big for only a week. A few hours later I look out the window and they're gone. So when I went to inspect, they are all nipped off, including the parsley and cilantro. Thankfully, the tomatoes and basil were spared. I realized we either have a rabbit or groundhog eating our produce.

Later, I saw the culprit. A little baby groundhog. Oh well, at least we'll have tomatoes and basil to make pizza sauce.

Thankfully, only a few miles West of us on Route 62 is our favorite fruit market, Alpine Produce. Amish run and owned, they open in June and close in October. All Summer long they have great local grown produce and fruit. We've been eating strawberry shortcake almost every day for the past week! Mmm good! Also, when in season we can be sure to get great beans from them that the groundhogs didn't get. We send our guests there a lot as well to pick up some great local produce to take home with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment